Help for Health And Social Care Commissioners & Providers
Liz Keenan has extensive experience, working as a senior consultant clinical psychologist within the NHS and integrated health and social care teams, prior to moving into independent practice. In this role she has worked with complex cases and provided highly specialist treatment approaches. Through her professional leadership roles she will have been responsible for the provision of high quality clinical psychology services
The following are areas in which Psychologists for Autism may be able to help:
- Non contractual referrals in relation to diagnosis, assessment and post diagnostic support for people with autism spectrum conditions (ASC), where there is no locally funded service to meet a particular individual need; or working in collaboration with locally funded services who are in need of specialist advice and support in relation to impact of autism on the care of an individual with ASC who has an additional mental or physical health condition
- Liz Keenan is able to offer a diagnostic assessment using the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO) developed by Lora Wing and Judith Gould at the Centre for Social and Communication disorders. This involves completing a detailed semi structured interview with someone who owns the person well, preferably from infancy as well as further psychological assessments and interviews with the person undergoing a diagnostic evaluation.
- Liz Keenan is also able to offer further psychological assessments to explore differences in the way the person processes information and ways in which this impacts on the ability to carry out everyday tasks and activities. And their social interactions with others. Alternatively these can be offered as a post diagnostic assessment to build on information from a recent or past diagnostic assessment. This can be of particular benefit to people who have complex cognitive or sensory difficulties which impact on their ability to be included in rewarding and fulfilling roles throughout their lifespan, such as paid employment. An assessment can help to identify reasonable adjustments that can be made to support the person with ASC who may have more complex needs.
- At Psychologist for Autism we are able to offer flexible options for post diagnostic support, dependent on need and complexity as well as individual goals and aspirations This can range from a one of consultation, lasting 1.5 – 2 hours to six sessions to include a more detailed assessment and/or support on a particular individual need.
Preventative Interventions If you are considering commissioning or providing preventative interventions aimed at maintaining the health and well being of the increasing numbers of people currently being diagnosed with autism and Aspergers Syndrome throughout their lifespan, there are a number of ways in which we may be able to help, for example:
- Time limited projects which will can be delivered and evaluated through psychologists for autism and our associates
- Training and Consultancy for local services and support networks
- Consultancy advice to health and social care commissioners and providers who are exploring and developing new initiatives as part of local autism strategy but need advice on the relevance and efficacy of a particular initiative or the service framework that will be required to support the initiative.
- Working in collaboration with local support networks and social enterprise schemes on specific evidence based projects. For example, we would be happy to discuss ways in which we may be able to collaborate on local employment initiatives or advise or collaborate on a specific support group theme, such as management of anxiety and coping with change
How We Can Help Now
Information about autistic spectrum conditions is constantly evolving. At PFA we aim to keep in touch with new developments through local and national networks and through our links with autism researchers and people whose lives are affected by autism or Asperger’s Syndrome. This helps us to design and deliver a range of bespoke services, which are current, relevant and drawn from best practice. For more information about any of our services click below: